Wednesday 21 December 2011

Mushroom Masala


There was a time when I used to be sceptical about buying mushrooms and trying to prepare a dish using them. But my hubby’s love for mushrooms have pushed me to try out different recipes with it.

Mushrooms stir fried with onions, bell peppers and spices. A simple dish, but the earthy mushrooms and bell peppers will make you forget how simple, and every mouthful will be a delight. When trying new veggies or meats, I try to stick with familiar flavours to begin with. And thus today I have saute’ed these lovely musrooms with simple spices that we use everyday in our kitchens.

Anyway, I must say my decision to experiment with mushrooms wasn’t such a bad idea after all, it in fact has made me extremely happy because my hubby dearest loved it! The first few times I tried cooking mushroom, turned out to be not-so-good experiences and left me feeling very hesitant to try these again. But what can I say, this dish definitely made me feel glad about my decision to cook with mushrooms. Yippee!!

So here is how I made Mushroom Masala. Enjoy!


Ingredients

Button Mushrooms - 250 gms
Bell Pepper/Capsicum (finely sliced; green) - 1
Big Onion (finely sliced) - 2 (big)
Garlic (crushed) - 3 to 4 cloves
Green chilli (slit lengthwise) - 1 (adjust as per spice tolerance)
Red Chilli powder - 1 to 1 1/2 tsp (adjust as per spice tolerance)
Garam Masala - 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt - to taste
Oil - 3 tsp

Method

Clean mushrooms well and finely slice them. Keep aside.

Heat oil in a wok and add finely sliced onions, capsicum and a pinch of salt into it. Saut'e till golden brown. Once the onions have browned, add crushed garlic and slit green chillies and saut'e for 1 or 2 minutes. Now, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and sliced mushrooms and mix well. At this time, adjust salt and cover and cook for 1 or 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, remove the lid and sprinkle garam masala and toss well. Keep stirring till water evaporates and masala coats the mushroom well.


When the oil starts to sizzle around the mushrooms slices, your Mushroom Masala is done. Switch off flame. Cover and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.

Serve hot with Rotis/Chapathis.

3 comments:

  1. I love mushrooms. This surely looks tempting to eat right away. I too prepare mushrooms this way but never put bell peppers along with it. Would try it now by including bell peppers. lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...hope you enjoy cooking it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is lovely too...enjoyed going through it...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...