Monday 6 August 2012

Soup Glorious Soup - Creamy Tomato Soup


The wind is howling outside and the rain is contemplating whether or not to pour down.

I am sitting in my warm living room sunk deep into the couch. Lights are dim and I'm deep into Jodi Picoult's...

... Handle With Care. Such a touching book.

I keep going with my book and suddenly I hear it. A distant rumbling. Was that thunder? Probably. There it is again. No, that is not thunder, it's coming from inside. It gets a bit louder and this time I feel it too.


The very familiar tummy rumbles. My li'l one inside me is reminding me "Amma, I need to eat in a while, you better get yourself geared up to cook something up". :) Yes friends, as some of you already know, I'm expecting. 23 weeks into the pregnancy, both Reju and I can't wait for the li'l one to pop out! The past few months were quite challenging but it's definitely worth it. :) Well it is almost time for dinner. But slogging in the kitchen does not appeal to me today. I want to get back to my book but still have a warm, soul-satisfying and hunger killing meal.

My refrigerator tells me I have to be extremely creative to serve up that kind of meal today. Well, hey creativity is my middle name and I take out what I find.

What I do find is some beautiful, plump and juicy tomatoes that needs to be used. Why do I have all those lovely tomatoes? Well, I actually use a lot of tomatoes in my cooking and hence never run out of these at any time.

I have always loved soup and still do. It surprises me that I have not posted more recipes for soup on the blog. I have been thinking of posting soups for a while but never got around until now.


I suppose, the love started with the simple gruel and green grams that was a customary dinner at home on sunday nights while growing up. Thereafter, the Chinese food outlets that spawn our cities made sweet corn chicken soup and manchow soup household names. My mum always experimented with food too and refreshing and simple soups were definitely on her menu atleast once a week.

Today's recipe is a different take on my mum's simple Tomato Soup. Her cooking is superlative, and every meal at home are some of the fondest memories I have growing up back home. She cooks everything to perfection. The spices and flavours are always the right amount to keep you wanting more.

With bay leaf and thyme to flavour this soup, this soup is one of the most refreshing and healthiest soups I have ever had. I hope you will enjoy this soup as much as I do.

Ingredients

For Tomato Soup

Fresh Tomatoes (plump; roughly chopped) - 4
Tomato Paste - 1 tbsp
Tomato Sauce - 2 tbsp
Carrot (roughly chopped) - 1 (medium)
Big Onion (roughly chopped) - 1 (medium)
Garlic (crushed) - 1 (big) or 2 to 3 (small)
Green chilli (slit lengthwise) - 1
Bay Leaf (coarsely crushed) - 1
Stock (veg/chicken/beef) - 600 ml
Fresh Thyme leaves - 1 tbsp (or 1 tsp of dried thyme)
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Milk - 600 ml
Salt - to taste
Pepper - to taste
Extra Virgin Olive oil (or any refined oil) - 1 tbsp

For Croutons

Bread - 2 slices (ends cut; cut into small cubes)
Olive Oil (or any refined oil) - 1 or 2 tsp


Method

Preparation of Soup

Heat olive oil in a soup pot and add crushed garlic, green chilli, bay leaf and chopped onions into it. Saut'e until onions have turned transparent and light brown. Add the chopped carrots and saut'e for a few minutes till carrots turn soft and start losing it's colour. Add roughly chopped fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, sauce, stock, thyme leaves (or dried thyme), sugar and salt and stir till combined well. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Cover and cook and allow to simmer for 25 minutes. Switch off the stove and leave the mixture to cool. Finely puree the soup in a pureeing machine or blender.

Run the soup through a sieve and return the liquid back into the stock pot. Add the milk into it. Season with salt and pepper. Gently bring the soup to a boil. (do not boil the soup too much) Switch off the flame. Keep warm.

Preparation of Croutons

Heat oil in a pan and add the bread cubes into it. Fry till golden brown and crisp. Your yummy croutons are ready!

Serve soup in bowls with a sprinkling of bread croutons in it.

Creamy, silky smooth, yummy and absolutely healthy tomato soup just for you. Simple, rustic and lip-smackingly delicious! Enjoy.

I had this post in my kitty for a while but never got around to posting it earlier. So here you go.

Notes:

1. If you want to give the dish a sophisticated touch, you can add a dollop of fresh cream into the soup.

Source: My beautiful mother. Thanks Ma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...