Friday 12 August 2011

Gajar Ka Halwa/Carrot Halwa


I have made chocolate mousse and cake, biscuit puddding and other desserts but I really haven't tried my hand at Indian sweets and thus thought I'd try out something new for a change. Gajar Ka Halwa is something that I love and this was the first time I was making it. And guess what, it was an absolute hit! :) I'm on top of the world, never in my wildest dreams did I think I will be making Gajar Ka Halwa! But the sad part is I did not get a good photograph of this dish. Well, to be honest after I made it, I thought I would share the joy of our happy day with our neighbours and gave everyone a share of what I made and completely forgot about leaving some for a photograph to be put on the blog!!!! :( Sorry for that "not so very nice" photo, will do better next time.

I'm not sure whether this is the authentic or traditional method but this is how I made it with prior online instructions from my lovely sister and expert cook, Sharon and the chef at VahRehVah.com... I found this method easier because the carrot cooks faster in the pressure cooker and thus the whole process takes lesser time. This dish is something you can prepare to satisfy a sudden sweet craving.

So, friends, I thought I will end this week with a sweet note because we will be going home today to spend a few days with family. I may not be able to upload or blog for a few days and I'm definitely going to miss you all and your yummy delights. So everyone, have a pleasant and fun weekend. Happy cooking!

Ingredients

Carrots (grated fine) - 4 cups
Milk - 2 cups
Mawa/Khova - 200 gms (you can also add 2 cups of curdled milk/channe/ricotta cheese)
Sugar - 1 cup (you can add more if you like it sweeter)
Ghee - 2 tsp
Chopped Cashew & Almonds - 1 tbsp each
Golden Raisins - 1 tbsp
Cardamom (skinned & crushed fine) - 2 to 3 (change as per taste)

Method

Roast the chopped cashew, almonds and raisins in a little ghee and keep aside.

Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add the grated carrots into it. Saut'e for 5 to 7 minutes. Now add the milk, mix and seal the pressure cooker with lid. Cook till pressure releases 4 times (4 whistles) and switch off the flame. Remove the lid when the pressure has reduced completely. At this stage, you can either transfer the mixture to a wide, deep non-stick skillet or continue to cook it in the pressure cooker itself. (if your pressure cooker is non-stick, perfect!) Add mawa/khova into it and stir continuously for about 2 to 3 minutes allowing it to cook. Now add the sugar and let it simmer on a low flame. (add sugar only after the carrots have been cooked well) Add the cardamom powder and roasted cashew, almonds and raisins into it and continue to cook till excess liquid evaporates and the mixture starts coming off the pan.

Take this in a serving plate and garnish with slivered almonds or any nuts and raisins. Serve hot or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...