Thursday 11 August 2011

Mushroom Fried Rice


Today my husband and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary! Just can't believe that it's been a year since we have been married...Gosh, how time flies! Got a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a hot cup of tea from my lovely husband in the morning. It has been a perfect day! Thank you Reju, you're the best.

As you already know, we are going home tomorrow for a short holiday and I was quite busy cleaning up the refrigerator. But with the anniversary and all today, I thought how could I give my hubby boy 2-day old food from the refrigerator! So I thought I'll prepare a surprise special meal for him today and I definitely had Reju swooning, ahem! I'm glad I brought a smile on his face.

You guys want to know what I cooked today. Here goes....I made Mushroom Fried Rice, Chicken Varuval, Kerala Prawns Fry and Carrot Halwa. Phew...took sometime but it was worth it! :) All these dishes were not too complicated, simple and I must tell you, it came out quite well. Reju loved it all, he kept saying that everything was delicious and that meant a lot to me.

This recipe is originally from a show I watched on NDTV Goodtimes. But I have made a few changes here and there and I hope you like it. This rice dish with mushrooms and celery/spring onions is a meal on it's own for veggie lovers.

I'll be posting each of these recipes as different posts within the next two days. Make sure you try them. You enjoy cooking while we enjoy a nice quiet dinner at 'Copper Chimney', a new restaurant which just opened up in Bangalore.

Cheers.

Ingredients

Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Mushroom (sliced) - 200 gms
Shallots - 3 to 4
Garlic - 2 to 3 cloves
Green chilli - 1 or 2 (as per spice tolerance)
Celery/Spring onions - 2 to 3 (chop up the leaves to add towards the last)
Soya sauce - 2 tsp
Vinegar - 1 tsp
Red Chilli sauce (I used Ching's Secret Red Chilli sauce) - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Pepper (crushed) - 1 tsp (Add more if you like it spicy)
Oil

Method

Boil the rice with 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp oil till bite-like. Drain and rinse under cold water. Leave in the colander and work 1 tbsp oil into it.

Heat oil in a wok and saut'e garlic and shallots for 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery/spring onions and saut'e over high heat, till they look glossy and reduce in quantity. (let the water content of the mushrooms disappear) Add the soya sauce, chilli sauce and vinegar and mix well. Now, add the rice and combine well. Stir till rice and veggies are well mixed. Check for salt and add more at this stage, if needed. (add about 2 tbsp of stock if you have, at this stage) Finally, add the spring onion leaves and toss for a minute or two and switch off the flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...