Tuesday 18 October 2011

Creamy Onion Soup


Sometimes there is nothing better than a simple soup to satisfy the soul. A soup that is easy to make, with familiar flavours but is presented differently, that warms you from the inside on a cold day. Soup is always perfect for a chilly day and are the easiest to prepare. They are always elegant and haute couture. I like such hands-free and no fuss meals. They are easy to make, taste great and leave you feeling full and happy! Besides, you can always use what you have and create variety easily.

So many posts with the word 'Simple', you must think I really mean business. I do! Stick with me and there will be more of it coming up.. :) The idea behind these meals was to maximise the time I get to spend with Reju on a weekly basis while still managing to get good food on the table that lent a little special touch. Plus this food blog keeps me on my toes, mentally and physically and that makes me very happy :)

I have always loved soup and still do. It surprises me that I have not posted more recipes for soup on the blog. The truth is, I have never tried many variations of soup. But I will try posting a few good ones when I come across them. I hope you will enjoy this soup as much as I do.

Ingredients

Big Onion (finely chopped) - 3 (medium)
Butter - 3/4 tbsp (refer notes)
Cornflour - 1 1/2 tbsp
Milk (boiled) - 2 3/4 soup bowls
Vegetable stock - 1/4 cup (refer notes)
Salt - to taste
Pepper - 1 to 1 1/2 tsp (black or white)
Cheese - 1 1/2 tbsp (refer notes)
Fresh Parsely (finely chopped) - 2 tsp (adjust as per taste) {optional}


Method

Heat butter in a pot and add chopped onions and saut'e till golden brown. (make sure it is browned and caramelized well) Add boiled milk and simmer for a few minutes. Add cheese along with pepper, salt and freshly chopped parsely and stir well. Now add vegetable stock and mix well. At this time, add cornflour and stir well till it starts thickening. (be sure to get rid of any lumps) Serve hot with sandwiches (chicken, egg or any filling of your choice) or as it is.

Notes:

1. I have added less butter to make it healthier. You can add more because it tastes better.

2. Please check:

http://culinaryexperimentsofanamateur.blogspot.com/2011/10/gobi-manchurian.html for instructions on how to prepare vegetable stock.

3. You can use any cheese, cream cheese, mozarella, or any cheese of your choice. You can also increase the quantity of cheese as per taste.

Source: Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...