Tuesday 11 October 2011

Potato and Chickpea Salad


Today's recipe is extremely easy and a very refreshing salad. It also turns out to be a yummy lunch option (I had this for lunch today) Easy to put together and good on your stomach, it is great to take a break from heavy food. I'm sure we all love chickpeas (black or white) and we often make delicious chickpeas curry to go with puttu (steamed rice flour) or a tasty, spicy chole to go with batura and poori. But this dish is different from what we normally cook. Today I decided to make a refreshing salad with chickpeas and potato.

Remember I told you that both Reju and I are trying to be careful with food? It definitely has worked for Reju because he has been very consistent with his exercise too. Unfortunately for me I haven't been consistent with my exercise regime at all and hence have put on oodles of weight :( :( And I think things are getting out of hand and so I thought I would resort to a healthy salad for sometime. (without the creamy rich dressing, of course) Since I felt I have abused my stomach enough, I thought I would resort to a lighter salad and what follows is how I put it together.

Ingredients

Chickpeas (Kabuli Chana) - 1 cup
Tomato (finely chopped) - 1 (big)
Big Onion (finely chopped) - 2
Green chillies (finely chopped) - 1 (adjust as per spice tolerance)
Potato (cut into small cubes) - 1 (small)
Coriander leaves

For the Dressing

Chaat Masala - 2 to 2 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp

Method

Soak the chickpeas overnight and cook in the pressure cooker till done. Keep aside. Parboil the potatoes and keep aside.

Take a serving dish and add the cooked potatoes and chickpeas into it. Throw in the rest of the ingredients and toss till everything is combined well. Check for salt.

Notes:

1. You can parboil the potatoes with a pinch of salt.

2. Add more lemon juice if you like it nice and tangy.

3. You can avoid the potato if you want to, the chickpeas with the lemon juice dressing is tasty too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...